President Vladimir Putin held a meeting on Friday at the Vostochny spaceport on the construction of the first and second phases of space infrastructure facilities, after hearing reports from the head of the Kazan production and construction association Ravil Ziganshin and the director of the Roskosmos directorate on Vostochny Evgeny Rogozy . The latter informed Putin that the builders have about 40 months before the end of the contract for the construction of the launch pad for the Angara space rocket complex.
“There is one hundred percent certainty that we will implement the project within these deadlines,” assured Rogoza, explaining that most of the work will be done by one contractor, and on his own, which eliminates the need to attract subcontractors and saves time and money. He also added that the construction project of the second stage passed state expert examination, and the work itself should be completed in December 2022. The launch of the Angara launch vehicle from Vostochny may take place in August 2023.
The meeting, which was held in closed session, had a rather tough discussion, a Vedomosti source close to the presidential administration says: the vast majority of officials, including presidential aide for economic affairs Andrei Belousov, vice defense minister Yuri Borisov and defense minister Sergei Shoigu, advocated the transfer of contracting functions from the PSO Kazan to the newly created public law company (PPK) of the Russian Ministry of Defense. Their arguments boiled down to the risks associated with the insufficient readiness of the JI to deploy and scale up the capacity of construction crews, the source explains.
The Director General of Roscosmos Dmitry Rogozin sharply reacted to this, an official of the government apparatus confirms: he appealed to the fact that only bureaucratic work (breaking and renewing contracts, creating separate statements) will de facto stop work at the cosmodrome and shift the originally planned terms for 1.5–2 years. In addition, in the case of Kazan, Rogozin gave the president a personal guarantee on the terms of construction, said the source of Vedomosti.
After the meeting, Rogozin said that Putin considered it necessary to continue the work of Roscosmos as the customer for the construction of the second stage of the cosmodrome. According to the general director of the state corporation, now 615 specialists are working at the facility, who are pouring concrete, by the end of September, 1,200 employees will be employed at the cosmodrome, and up to 5,000 people by the summer of next year. “Of course, now we need to create a new legal basis for this kind of construction, because it is a huge strategically important object,” Rogozin added.
10 billion rubles.
the Prosecutor General’s Office estimated the theft during the construction of the Vostochny Cosmodrome
The idea of attracting the military to the construction of Vostochny has really been postponed, the source of Vedomosti in the Ministry of Defense acknowledges, but this will not affect the creation of a military-industrial complex. Last week, the draft presidential decree on the creation of such a structure within the Ministry of Defense was finally agreed with the Kremlin, so the document on the creation of the PPK can be signed as soon as possible, he adds.