As it became known to Kommersant, the department of the Federal Penitentiary Service for the Yaroslavl Region has established 17 employees who in the summer of last year beat convicted Evgeny Makarov in penal colony No.1. The jailers who got on the video record published by Novaya Gazeta are currently suspended from their duties. On the eve of the human rights fund "Public Verdict" reported the detention of the first suspect - Maxim Yablokov - but neither the Investigative Committee nor the Yaroslavl Ombudsman Sergei Baburkin confirmed this information to Kommersant. Tomorrow the chairman of the Council under the President for Human Rights (HRC) Mikhail Fedotov will arrive in the colony.
Participants in the beating of a prisoner in the Yaroslavl colony No. 1 Yevgeny Makarov (17 people) are installed and discharged from their duties. About this, "Kommersant" said the human rights commissioner in the Yaroslavl region Sergei Baburkin. According to him, while none of the staff of the correctional facility was detained, although on the eve of the Public Verdict Foundation (engaged in legal protection of Mr. Makarov) reported the detention of an employee of the colony of Maxim Yablokov. Information on the detention of the jailer was also denied by Kommersant in the press service of the investigative department of the Artsakh for Yaroslavl region. Note that Novaya Gazeta, which published a video of beating Evgeni Makarov, claimed that 18 people took part in torture, but one of them was designated by the publisher as the owner of the DVR.
Since Friday, a dozen prosecutors work in the colony, the ombudsman added. According to him, they "conduct a full-scale interview of the convicts". A total of 852 people are now in the correctional institution. Mr. Baburkin, having communicated with the respondents, told Kommersant that pressure was not exerted on them and they could say whatever they wanted. The Commissioner told, in particular, about a survey of prisoners, which was interrupted by the prosecutor after an employee of the colony entered the office, "so that he did not hear anything". Evgeni Makarov himself, according to Sergei Baburkin, is now being held in correctional colony No. 8, feels normal and thinks about the forthcoming release - in October he will be released. Tomorrow, Mikhail Fedotov, Chairman of the Council under the Russian President for Human Rights, will arrive in the colony # 1 to assess the situation.
Nur-Al Hasiyev, a former member of the regional public monitoring commission (OOC), told Kommersant that Prisoners were beaten in the colony # 1. At the same time, he clarified that he had not been complained about Mr. Makarov and he was not familiar with him or with his statements. "But other convicted colony No. 1 addressed us with complaints. Last year there were a lot of complaints. In some cases, I was approached by the parents of prisoners, asked to understand. I came to the colony, and the prisoners refused to communicate and said that they were all right. In this case, we can not take any action. But we realized that, first, before other prisoners, it was uncomfortable to complain, and secondly, the pressure was on the part of the institution. Nevertheless, here last year a line of prisoners lined up (wishing to complain about the actions of the colony's employees. "" Kommersant ")," Mr. Khasiyev said. According to him, after the complaints, the prisoners were sent to penal isolators. Members of the PSC reported on the situation to the ombudsman and the prosecutor's office, the employees of the colony were dismissed from these complaints, he said.
Recall Eugene Makarov, who is serving a sentence for deliberately causing serious harm to health, was beaten in Yaroslavl colony No. 1 on June 29, 2017. On the published video, you hear how he is accused of insulting an employee during a search. After the publication of the SS, the SCR initiated a criminal case under clause "a" part 3 of Art. 286 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation (abuse of authority with the use of violence). Lawyers of the "Public Verdict" reported on torture in the colony last spring, but the investigation refused to initiate criminal proceedings on their complaints. The allegations of torture in IK-1 are also pending before the European Court of Human Rights. Human rights activists promised to send a video to Strasbourg with their comments.