The US is trying to block the implementation of large-scale international project to create a "Spektr-UV" orbital observatory. According to "Izvestia" Director of the Institute of Astronomy of Russian Academy of Sciences Boris Shustov, the US State Department has banned the supply to Russia of radiation-resistant components used in instruments for radiation detection.
- In our country, we can not make your own high-quality radiation detectors, including in the ultraviolet range, - said Shustov. - So we had to with the permission of the Russian Space Agency to conclude a contract with the British firm E2V, make a prepayment. But this year, the United States introduced additional restrictions on the supply of high-tech products in Russia, and it affected our contract. The British do radiation detector itself, but an electronic "tying" of radiation-resistant components created using American components. Permission to export these items in Russia they could not get.
According to the head of the Institute of Astronomy in E2V nevertheless do not want to interrupt the contract, not to pay notustoyku.
- English we are assured that the necessary details will be able to do yourself, but asked for permission to extend the contract for 1.5 years - said Shustov.
"Spektr-UV" (international name of the project: World Space Observatory - Ultraviolet) scientists compare with the famous American orbital telescope "Hubble". His telescope is smaller in size than "Hubble" - 170 cm vs. 240 cm - however, due to a more modern approach to technology, it is expected to be more effective. Run "Spectrum-UV" previously planned for 2016, and now Boris Shustov calls in 2020 as the anticipated date of the launch. The main role played by Russia in the project - is part of the scientific Institute of Astronomy. Also participating in the project Complutense University of Madrid and the German Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics of the University of Tübingen.
- Unfortunately, we can not comment publicly on the details of the contracts - said "Izvestia" Assistant Marketing Communications E2V Stevie Corns.
E2V - developer and manufacturer of electronic equipment, etc.rimenyaemogo in scientific, medical and military purposes. Before the company was called English Electric Valve Company. It manufactures radar systems, X-ray machines, laser equipment. Among the company's customers - Airbus, Boeing, Raytheon, Siemens, and others.
According to "Izvestia" a source in the Federal Space Agency, the case with the device «Spektr-UV" can be considered as a precedent, since before that the Americans do not block the supply of components for scientific apparatus. At the same time providing space broadcasting devices could receive an export permit in Russia until recently, adds the source.
Boris Shustov American position is not surprising.
- Politics interferes in everything and everywhere, it is naive to believe that the science exists in some separate pure world, - he says.
Exports of US (including part of the US - for example, authenticated or adjustment in the US) parts, which can be used in systems for military and dual-regulated ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) - a set of rules established by the US government to Comrade exportsares and defense-related services.
In accordance with the rules ITAR export electronically-component base (ECB) categories of military (for use in military systems) and space (radiation hardened components) in the Russian Federation is possible with the permission of the US State Department.
According to the source in the Federal Space Agency, until the summer of last year, the Americans looked at the delivery ECB for Russian dual-use items through your fingers, if only it was not about the components used in the offensive weapons systems. In early summer 2013, when the question arose with Snowden and Syria, the Americans made it clear that the supply mode can be changed: if they banned the supply of components for the spacecraft "Geo-IK-2", calling it a war (the destination device - geodetic measurements high precision, its owner - the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation). Later it was reported deliveries of components for banning GLONASS, but official confirmation has not been made.
- The Americans are trying to cut us from the products of new technologies, - says a corresponding member of the Russian Academy of cosmonvtiki Tsiolkovsky Andrew, son of John. - In contrast to the political and financial measures of the impact of technological sanctions resemble an iceberg - most of them are not visible. That is, some measures are announced, and on some you know at the last moment, when half of the satellite is built. Exactly what happened to E2V. But in this situation is not one Russian. Those who threaten such action, it is necessary to unite and to develop critical technologies together. The only way to avoid the consequences of technological colonialism.